Saturday, December 5, 2009

Evaluating Websites


Booklamp
I googled Aaron Stanton who is the owner/author of the website and found out that he has been on the quest of Google's attention. I couldn't find any information on whether he is qualified for recommending reads or whether he is an avid reader or not. Booklamp itself is the programme he is developing to get Google's attention on its algorithm.

I cannot grasp the idea that analyzing the statistics of bits and pieces of novels like pacing, density, dialog, etc will be of help to understand a book or provide any standard on which next reads could be recommended.

I believe the whole is greater than the sum of its parts, which more likely is true with creative works like novels.


The Book Seer
What I liked best with this website was its simple layout. If I type in book title and author's name, I can get recommendations from Amazon, BookArmy and LibraryThing.

Out of these sources, Amazon and libraryThing have authority as online bookstore and personal collection/library organizing tool respectively.

However, I happened to notice certain bias in the Book Seer. If you type in classic novels, you are more likely to get classics from the same period, which means there is no chance that Twilight readers will get recommendation for "Dracula" written by Bram Stoker.

No comments: