I have never been a fan of Wikipedia. If the authority and reliability of information have to be doubted and need to be checked again, how could I use it as a reference? That’s why I kept myself away from Wikipedia and didn’t have a chance to think upon the potential power of Wiki.
I espcially liked the idea of creating online community using Wiki. It could be for library staff brainstorming for a certain project or could be used as online suggestion box or community notice board that library staff and users work together and create up-to-date news for local community events.
For myself, I am thinking of using Wiki as a main communication tool that links me with my friends based in Seoul, New York and Chicago. Hopefully, it will replace e-mails criss-crossed among us and make it come true--our get-together in Christchurch and South Island tour next year.
1 comment:
You do have to be cautious using Wikipedia, but quite often the external links at the bottom of pages are useful and can be verified. Sometimes Wiki is helpful for those trivial questions, like finding TV show characters etc, and it's good for defining unfamiliar terms like computer language. It can be a good starting point for a search, and remember, some of the authors really are experts in their fields (it's just hard to tell!)
Post a Comment