At first I thought I would read all the classics written for childrens and young adults and write reviews on them and find selection criteria of excellent books from them. If I chose Ann of Green Gables, The Secret Garden, The Hobbit, The Catcher in the Rye, etc, it might have fun or at least meaning for me. But not for the children and young adult of today.
The books I have just mentioned are still in the collection, though they sit still, gathering dust and waiting for any mum or dad to pull out with a smile/nostalgia on and sell hard to their children. Often they are required for their English class to dissect them to bits and bits and analyse them to death and squeeze all the fun and the whole reading experience.
"Wow! The book was so fun. Do you have any other books written by the same author? Or is this one of a series?" Most books that draw out such responses have a long list of children waiting for the book, hence no idle time sitting on the shelf.
What should I read? What books will help me better understand the current and potential library users?
No comments:
Post a Comment