Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Open ID and Vidoop.com

Even though I don't think I will require an identity provider to manage my online life, I liked the idea behind Open ID.

I made an account with Vidoop.com just out of curiosity and made a pleasant discovery on ImageShield technology. It is a great innovation to use images for login. I think images are much easier to remember than passwords, especially when it is not exactly the same image but the category that a user is asked to remember.

In addition to image category keys, Vidoop.com also allows users to register the device used for registration. So if a user's device become unregistered next time he logs in, it could mean some fishy phishing is involved.

Vidoop.com clearly informs users that the risk of unauthorised access and disclosure is still present regardless of their effort to minimize such threats. It also stresses the importance of user awareness/vigilance on online safety to protect the account on Vidoop and third party websites accessed using Vidoop identity.

To be honest, I am impressed with Vidoop's new login technology and its other features. Still, I don't think I will use Vidoop as an identity provider on the web. I prefer to have a simple online life that requires no other tools to make it easier and simpler,

No comments: